Wednesday, August 02, 2006

May the Road Rise to Meet You

The old Irish proverb goes:

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Here in the southern US, we'd prefer the sun and wind to be at our backs. We usually don't need the hot sun to warm our faces.

And rains falling soft on your fields? We all want that. Heavy rains and hail damage your crops or landscaping. Not to mention break your car windows and sweep everything away in flash floods.

But what about having the 'road rise to meet you'? Sounds a lot like walking uphill. That's hard work as expereinced during my life here in the Piedmont Plateau.

The road often rises to meet me in unpleasant ways. Especially when I'm falling face first.

I guess I need this part explained to me a little better.

Better yet, I offer an updated blessing:

May the traffic lights green before you.
May the big trucks always be at your back.
May your electronic assistants be fully charged, your inbox devoid of spam, the telemarketers loose your phone numbers and,
until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.