Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dixie Chicks

Boy, the Dixie Chicks' PR folks sure have the full court press on. Just saw in interview on ABC about their 'problems' with infertility. The two 'lesser' stars of the trio apparently had problems bearing children. The PR folks must be pushing them to do non-political interviews that will de-demonize them and reach the emotions of Americans, especially women.

But, as Teresa of Technicalities has pointed out, the Dixie Chicks have alienated their fan base, the younger country music audience. Maines was quoted in late January on entertainmentweekly.com, before the single went to country radio, saying: "For me to be in country music to begin with was not who I was ... I would be cheating myself ... to go back to something that I don't wholeheartedly believe in. So I'm pretty much done. They've shown their true colors. I like lots of country music, but as far as the industry and everything that happened ... I couldn't want to be farther away from that."

Maines also said, "I don't want people to think that me not wanting to be part of country music is any sort of revenge. It is not. It is totally me being who I am, and not wanting to compromise myself and hate my life."


I remember watching a story on them and how they got to where they are today. They got their start playing in country fairs or the like. Playing to the common country folk who had a thing for some good fiddling and appreciate their music. Well, apparently, they aren't 'country' anymore. Despite the good fiddling.

That bodes well for the Dixie Chicks as the country base seems to have soured on them. Consumer economics (aka censorship) reared its ugly head and they are not getting much, if any, airtime on country radio. That shouldn't be a problem for them however. After all, while touring in Europe, lead singer Maines was quoted as being ashamed to be from the same state as President Bush, and we all know from poll watching, that EVERYBODY hates Bush. There's no excuse for them NOT to succeed with their latest album.

Except that maybe the public, even the non-country, leftist leaning, 'Bush hating majority' doesn't want to hear their music either.