Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Landmark Nicknames

What nicknames have your city's citizens bestowed upon their favorite auto-arteries, buildings, natural landmarks, etc.?

In Atlanta we have:
Spaghetti Junction - the intersection of I-85 & I-285 in NE Atlanta.


The Perimeter - the I-285 loop around Atlanta

The Connector - inside 'the Perimeter', I-75 and I-85 connect and travel North/South through Atlanta

Little Five Points - the intersection of McClendon, Euclid & Moreland Avenues.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, our city rail and bus system

The Hooch - The Chattahoochee River, translated from Cherokee means "river of painted rock"

The Tit - Alexander Memorial Colliseum at Georgia Tech


The Big Chicken - a Kentucky Fried Chicken location used by airline pilots as a navigational aid.