Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bill Campbell Prosecution Wraps Up

Former Atlanta Mayer, Bill Campbell, is being prosecuted in Federal Court for bribery and corruption. This is the mayor that let Atlanta's crumbling sewer system fall into complete disrepair, made a flea market out of the Olympics, and ran the city government like a jobs program for friends and political allies. Not so unusual, but disappointing anyway.

I really don't care what happens to the guy. I don't like him, but his tenure is over. If he's guilty, I hope he gets punished. But the damage has long been done. His trial won't change anything. Maybe, just maybe it'll serve as a warning to current and future city leaders/employees.

But I'm not holding my breath. It's one of the reasons I don't live within the city of Atlanta.